What Is Fatty Liver?
Fatty liver simply means fat within the liver. Like fat in other body parts, accumulation of fat within the liver is not considered healthy.
What are symptoms of fatty liver ?
It usually does not produce any symptoms. Some patients may suffer from discomfort in the upper part of their tummy. Some may have pain & heaviness.
Why does it happen ?
Commonest cause is alcohol intake. Other causes include obesity, hepatitis virus infection & high blood cholesterol level.
How is fatty Liver diagnosed ?
It is commonly diagnosed by ultrasound of the abdomen. Sonography can accurately detect the stage of the disease.
What is the treatment of fatty liver ?
- Avoid alcohol – Alcohol is the main reason for the development of fatty liver. So stop consuming alcohol if you do. The fat in the liver will take many months or sometimes years to regress.
- Doctor will prescribe you certain medicines like Vitamin E & Folic acid, to revert the fatty liver & prevent further damage from happening.
- Weight reduction – do regular exercise, reduce your weight if you are overweight.
- Get treated for viral hepatitis infection if you have one.
- If your lipid profile is altered e.g. hypercholesterolemia or hypertriglyceridemia, you should consult your doctor & get treated.
Which foods help cure a fatty liver?
Coffee, Green vegetables, Tofu, Walnuts, Avocado, Green tea etc. are claimed to benefit the fatty liver. However, the scientific research in this area is lacking.
Read more about :