As per stomach doctor, when you have a stomach ache, you’ve got pain or discomfort in your belly. Sometimes that is the only symptom you’ve got. Other times, you can have other symptoms such as:
• Burning in your chest referred to as heartburn
• Bloating (feeling like your belly is stuffed with air)
• Feeling full too quickly after you start eating
Most people don’t need to see a stomach doctor for a minor stomach ache. But you should see your doctor if:
• You have bloody bowel movements, diarrhoea, or vomiting
• Your pain is severe and lasts more than an hour or comes and goes for quite 24 hours
• You cannot eat or drink for hours
• You have a fever above 102°F (39°C)
• You lose lots of weight without trying to, or lose interest in food
In some cases, stomach aches are caused by a particular problem, like a stomach ulcer (a sore on the within of the stomach) or gastritis or stones. But in some cases, stomach doctors don’t know what causes stomach aches or the other symptoms that happen with them. Even so, doctors can usually treat the symptoms of stomach ache.
If your symptoms are caused by a particular problem, like an ulcer, treatments for that problem will likely relieve your symptoms. But if your stomach doctor does not know what is causing your pain, he or she might recommend medicines that reduce the amount of acid in your stomach. These medicines often relieve stomach aches and also the symptoms that come with it. Some of these medicines are available without a prescription.
Yes, the foods you eat and also the way you eat them can have a big effect on whether or not you feel pain.
To lower your chances of getting a stomach ache:
• Avoid fatty foods, such as red meat, butter, fried foods, and cheese
• Eat a bunch of small meals each day, instead of two or three big meals
• Stay away from foods that seem to make your symptoms worse
• Avoid taking over-the-counter medicines that appear to make your symptoms worse – Examples include aspirin or ibuprofen.
Some people – especially kids – sometimes get a stomach ache after drinking milk or eating cheese, ice cream, or other foods that have milk in them. They have a problem called “lactose intolerance,” which suggests that they cannot fully break down foods that have milk in them.
People with lactose intolerance can avoid problems caused by milk if they take a medicine called lactase. Lactase (sample brand name: Lactaid), helps your body break down milk. Some foods come with it already added.
If your stomach ache seems to be associated with constipation, meaning that you do not have enough bowel movements, you may need more fiber or a medicine called a laxative. (Laxatives are medicines that increase the number of bowel movements you’ve got.)
Taking in a very lot of fiber helps to increase the number of bowel movements you have. you can get more fiber by:
• Eating lots of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains
• Taking fiber pills, powders, or wafers
As per the stomach doctor, children get stomach aches for the same reasons that adults do. Unlike adults, doctors often do not know what causes stomach pain in children. But in children, stomach pain is commonly triggered by stress or anxiety. For them, it’s especially important to listen to psychological or emotional problems that may be making pain worse. To know more about stomach pain you can visit MedlinePlus & MayoClinic.