A hiatal hernia is what doctors call it when a part of the stomach moves up into the chest area. Normally, the stomach sits below the diaphragm, the layer of muscle that separates the organs within the chest from the organs within the belly, as per hiatal hernia doctor. The oesophagus, the tube that carries food from the mouth to the abdomen, passes through a hole within the diaphragm. In people with a hiatal hernia, the abdomen pushes up through that hole, too.
There are two types of hiatal hernia:
- Sliding hernia – A sliding hernia happens when the top of the stomach and the lower part of the oesophagus squeeze up into the space above the diaphragm. This is the most common kind of hiatal hernia as per the hiatal hernia doctor.
- Paraesophageal hernia – A paraesophageal hernia happens when the top of the stomach squeezes up into the space above the diaphragm. this is not quite common, as per hiatal hernia doctor; however, it may be serious if the abdomen folds up on itself. It also can cause injury from the abdomen or bother respiratory.
Hiatal hernias don’t usually cause symptoms. In some cases, though, hiatal hernias cause stomach acid to leak into the oesophagus. This is referred to as acid reflux or esophageal reflux, and it can cause symptoms, including:
- Burning within the chest, referred to as heartburn
- Burning within the throat or an acid taste within the throat
- Stomach or chest pain
- Trouble swallowing
- A rough voice or a sore throat
- Unexplained cough
Yes, however doctors don’t usually test for hiatal hernia. Instead, most of the people learn they have a hiatal hernia when they are having tests to find the reason for symptoms, or for different reasons. for example, some people determine they have a hiatal hernia when they have an X-ray or a barium swallow. Others determine when their doctor puts a tube with a small camera down their throat (called an endoscopy).
People who have symptoms caused by a hiatal hernia can get treated for his or her symptoms.Treatment for symptoms involves taking medicines that are used for acid reflux. individuals with a paraesophageal hernia, and a few people with a sliding hernia, need surgery as per hiatal hernia doctor. For this surgery, the hiatal hernai doctor pulls the abdomen back down and repairs the hole within the diaphragm therefore the stomach doesn’t slide up again. Read more from: Mayoclinic & Cleveland clinic